Summer weather is approaching and that means lunch time barbecues at our office. One of our favorites is basil shrimp with feta and orzo, a quick and easy dish that can be prepared partially in advance, making it the perfect choice during work hours or at home when time is at a premium. Fire up the grill at your office and enjoy!
Basil Shrimp with Feta and Orzo
1 cup orzo – uncooked
4 teaspoons olive oil — divided
2 cups diced tomato
1- 1/2 cups sliced green or vidalia onion
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1- 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
You’ll also need an aluminum foil cooking bag or 2 long sheets of aluminum foil.
1. The night before you plan to serve the dish, cook pasta for 5 minutes in boiling water. Drain.
2. Transfer pasta to large bowl. Stir in 2 tablespoons oil, place in plastic container and seal. Refrigerate overnight.
3. Just prior to preparing add the next 7 ingredients: diced tomato, onions, feta cheese, lemon rind, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper.
4. Place the orzo mixture in prepared oven bag or on one of the sheets of aluminum foil.
5. Combine shrimp and basil.
6. Arrange shrimp mixture on orzo. Fold edges of bag or, if using foil, cover with other piece of foil and fold edges to seal.
7. Place on grill over medium heat and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping occasionally, until shrimp are done.
8. Cut open back with a sharp knife or kitchen shears and drizzle remaining oil over orzo.