Like many folks, as the weather gets cooler the foodies at our office tend to chat about tried and true comfort food recipes. Invariably, the conversation turns to variations of baked macaroni and cheese, a meal that some of us consider the ultimate comfort food. Here’s a recipe from one of our team members that’s yummy and office lunch room friendly. Simply prepare to the baking point and press the office oven into service, or complete at home and reheat in the microwave. Bon appetit!
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Ingredients you’ll need:
2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 small onion, minced
Margarine or butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
2 cups milk
1/2 pound cheese, cheddar, American, or combination
3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1. Prepare the macaroni per package directions.
2. Pre-heat oven to 400*
3. While macaroni is cooking, saute diced onion and 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan, over medium heat cook until the onion is translucent and tender.
4. Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper. Cook 1 minute, until golden brown.
5. Add milk slowly and stir. Continue to cook over low to medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
6. Add about three-fourths of the cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
7. Drain and rinse cooked macaroni and place in a greased 1-1/2 quart casserole..
8. Pour cheese sauce over the macaroni, tossing with a fork until well-coated.
9. Top with the remaining cheese.
10. In a small saucepan melt one tablespoon of butter over low hear.
11. Stir in bread crumbs then crumble and sprinkle mixture over cheese.
12. Cover and bake for 20 minutes or until brown and bubbly.Yields four servings when served as main entrée, six servings as a side dish.