April is Earth Month and in celebration we’re focused on more ways to re-affirm our commitment to being GREEN. Here are 12 simple steps to take to become more environmentally conscious in 2012!
1. Consider re-manufactured systems furniture when updating or expanding work space in your office. Typically sold at significantly lower prices, remanufactured furniture has all of the advantages of its new counterparts without the added cost. One work station diverts a significant amount of material from landfills.
2. Turn off the water when brushing teeth, washing dishes, and even while lathering up in the shower. You can save 3 gallons a day and more simply remembering to turn it off when not actively using it.
3. Turn off lights and unplug unused appliances. That can opener plugged into the wall is using electricity even while sitting idle and so are all of your small appliances.
4. Invest in a water filter, eliminating or limiting the use of plastic water bottles.
5. Take public transportation or walk when possible. A plus for both the environment and you!
6. Turn the thermostat down in the winter and up in the summer.
7. Recycle, recycle, recycle.
8. Buy locally when possible. Transportation costs are less and so is the carbon footprint.
9. Purchase a couple of cloth grocery bags and bring them to the market each time.
10. Use environmentally friendly household cleaners, cosmetics, and personal care products.
11. Don’t flush chemicals, solvents, or medications down the toilet or drain.
12. Limit weed killers, pesticides, and other commonly used lawn chemicals.